Transitioning to Weight Bearing
- Begin with crutches: Walk with partial weight through heel while supporting the rest of your weight with crutches
- Incrementally increase the weight put through your foot slowly over 3-7 days
Transitioning to Regular Shoe Gear
- Start with wearing supportive shoes (athletic shoes) at home with regular activity
- Wear your boot/post op shoe during extended periods of time on your feet (work or school)
- Incrementally increase the time spent in regular shoes over 3-7 days
- Avoid all high impact activities until approval is given by your doctor.
- Avoid any sharp pain or sudden swelling during your transition.
- You should not have any pain or swelling when you wake up every morning, this indicates overuse and overexertion.
- If sudden increases in pain and swelling occur, decrease activity levels for the next several days. Return to using boot or crutches until pain resolves, and elevate and ice your foot regularly.